It’s November, which means that, if you are like many Americans, you are sitting down to balance your budget before the holidays. Before you trim your tree or hang up stockings, how much are you going to spend to keep your home warm and cozy for the holidays? Monthly heating oil cost is important for creating your holiday budget and your annual budget, and it can vary a great deal depending on the temperature outside and your home.
What Are My Monthly Heating Oil Costs?
First, gather your heating oil bills from the past few winters. The more years of data that you have to work from, the better. Write down the heating oil you used each month and add it together for a yearly total. Divide that cost by 12 months to see your cost per month or divide it by the number of months you purchase heating oil to get a winter-long estimate. If you have multiple years of data to examine, that will give you a more detailed estimate of what you can expect. Remember that yearly variations in temperature and weather (snow, ice, etc.) will affect your monthly heating oil cost.
How Long Will My Heating Oil Last?
Your rate of usage depends on a wide range of factors, including:
- The temperature outside
- If you are also using other heating sources, like a fireplace or cooking frequently in the kitchen
- The energy efficiency of your home including weather proofing around windows and doors
- Whether or not you have adequate insulation present in your home, roof, attic and other areas
- How frequently you maintain your furnace to ensure maximum efficiency and proper fuel usage (Tevis Energy recommends all HVAC systems be checked annually)
How Can I Use My Heating Oil More Efficiently?
Practicing energy-efficient behavior is key. Educate your family on the importance of conserving heating oil for your household energy use and the environment. Before winter is in full swing, you can also:
- Increase the insulation in your walls and/or attic
- Replace caulk and weather stripping around your windows and doors
- Close any vents in rooms that you do not use every day
- Close the doors of all closets
- Open your blinds and drapes during the day to heat your home naturally with the warmth of the sun
Keep Your Monthly Heating Oil Cost Affordable With Tevis Energy
To learn more about our heating oil delivery services or request a delivery, contact us today online or by calling (420) 415-1761. To apply to be a part of our Smart Fleet Fuel Card program, please call us at 800-877-0800. Tevis Energy is proud to be a family-owned and operated business serving communities throughout Maryland and Pennsylvania with safe, clean-burning heating oil and diesel fuel. We offer quality fuels for a fair price.